Sunday, November 28, 2010

Thanksgiving Feast

Hello all.  I've decided I have the energy to start blogging again and thought I'd start by sharing our lovely feast pictures with you all.

We made several standard items: mashed potatoes, the Chef's stuffing, grilled haricot verts, and a lovely vegan "turkey" gravy, but a few items were inspired by all the Vegan MoFo out there and I thought I'd share the pictures and links.

We always do a fruit and cheese plate to start the day before the big meal:


Eldest did the fruit and cheese.  She put out grapes, strawberries, baby cucumbers, baby carrots and pomegranate pips.  


She also did a baked brie wrapped in puff pastry surrounded by various cheeses (all local!).  The endive is tipped with a local chevre and green onion, we dipped these in the balsamic vinegar reduction Chef made on Monday.  

Then for the main course I made the seitan roulade from Vegan Yum Yum's recipe.  There was a warning on it because many people have, apparently, had trouble with it.  I suspect it's due to regional humidity differences, since we are so dry and the recipe stresses that the dough should be wet, I simply added a couple extra tablespoons of the liquid.  It was simple and SO GOOD!


Sorry you only get the raw view, I meant to take a finished picture but we ate it too fast.  I did tweak the recipe by adding some poultry seasoning to the dry and using 6 tablespoons of water with three parts "chicken" bullion and one part "beef" to replace the same amount of veggie broth.  It gave it a more "turkey" flavor.  

I hope you all had a good vacation and I will get the roast beast and lentil loaf recipes up soon.  :)




1 comment:

Loraine said...

It all looks amazing! Especially the cheeses... I'm a huge fan of cheese.