Sunday, May 22, 2011

Nacho Cheezy Sauce

I wanted to sit down and blog the vegan version of one of hubby's childhood favorites but realized that in order to do that I really needed to share the spicy nacho sauce first. I love this nacho sauce SO much!  My go-to lazy lunch is nachos (I know, *so* healthy) and this sauce is always on hand.  ;)

  • 1 double batch Cashew cream
  • 1 Cup nutritional yeast (sometimes more; I go by the look and taste)
  • 1 tsp Tumeric
  • 1 tsp Garlic powder
  • 1 tsp Mustard powder
  • about a table spoon Yellow mustard
  • splash of unsweetened plant milk to thin
  • Sriracha
  • Chili powder
  • Cayenne pepper
  • Cumin
  • grilled peppers and white onion (optional)
This is a super creamy and easy nacho sauce and, with an adjustment in the spices you add, is a good foundational cheese sauce for mac & cheese or cheezy broccoli or other cheezy saucy uses.  All lactose and cruelty free (and of course it fits the lazy and cheep categories too)!

Pour your cashew cream into a pot, stir in the nutritional yeast and add the measured spices (I add the splash of plant milk at the very end to thin the sauce out).  This is the basic sauce and from here you can vary it for all sorts of uses.    

Add in the spicy flavor now!  :)  I like quite a hot sauce so I'm heavy on the Sriracha and chili powder.  Cumin adds that something special to the taste for me but experiment with your own taste buds.  If I have them on hand I sweat and grill until just aromatic a selection of peppers with white onion, stir these in before the plant milk at the end.  Heat until the sauce is bubbly, it will get very thick, if you need to, add a splash of plant milk as you cook.  Depending on mood, how high the heat is etc, I will add more or less nooge. 

I hope you like this as much as I do! :)
  

No comments: